Almost three years had passed since the terrible disaster had happened on the St. Lawrence River killing 1,012 passengers and crew aboard the ill-fated Empress of Ireland. The blame was fully place on the shoulders of the 1st Officer Toftenes for not alerting the ship's captain to the bridge when they were approaching the fog bank and for altering the ship's course.
The Storstad survived the disaster and her bow section was repaired in 1914 and eventually the ship was put back to work in the iron ore trade between Wabana (Newfoundland) and Sydney (Cape Breton). But the story didn't end there!
For the complete story about what happened to the Storstad after the disaster please follow this link. https://www.theempressofireland.com/s-s-storstad
Diagram of what the Storstad looked like when the ship was flying the Belgian Relief Flag that was supposed to save her from any attacks.
The S.S. Storstad was constructed at Newcastle, England, by Armstrong, Whitworth & Co., for A. F. Klaverness & Co. Her registered home port is Christiania, Norway, and she steams under the Norwegian flag. She is 440 feet long, 58 feet 1 inch beam, and has 24 feet 6 inches depth of hold and weighed 6,028 tons and was launched on October 4th, 1910.
Newspaper clipping after the Storstad was sunk by a German U-Boat on March 10th, 1917.