The R.M.S. Empress of Ireland Community
Sister ships the Empress of Ireland & Empress of Britain
The differences between the Empresses were sometimes difficult to tell them apart in the early years of their careers. The commanders of each vessel had their own particular quirks on how their vessel was going to be run. For instance the Empress of Britain who was under the commander of James Anderson Murray would always have the first lifeboats near the bridge in a outward position.
To see information click on each picture.
Forward lifeboats beside the bridge were always in the outward position while the ship was travelling or dock. Reasons behind this are unknown.
The class system that had been used on the Empress of Britain prior to World War 1 had been re-fitted to cabin accommodations and became more modern once again. The Empress returned to active service on January 9th, 1920 and by late spring her new re-fit from coal to oil burning engines paid off as she crossed the Atlantic from Liverpool to Quebec City.
By October 1922, the Empress of Britain changed course again and started her active service on the Southampton-Cherbourg-Quebec route. This would be the last time the Empress of Britain would sail under her name and by 1924 the Empress had been re-named as the Montroyal. Only five years had passed since her last re-fit but this time the Montroyal would carry 600 cabin passengers and 800, 3rd class passengers. Once the re-fit had been completed the Montroyal returned to active duty on April 19th,
Empress of Britain now known as Montroyal moored at Southend before she was transferred to Stavenger Ship Breaking Company and broken up in June 30th, 1930
1906 TO 1914
Possibly her last voyage before the disaster. The difference here is her lifeboats and the forecastle have been painted dark. Also the Marconi telegraph room was re-located from the Lower Promenade Deck to Boat Deck after the Titanic sank in 1912.